For my 23nd birthday my wonderful, amazing Father gave me a real strand of pearls. I felt like I had officially became a business woman! :) I was always taught by my Mother since I was a child that pearls were a sign of success which makes perfect since when we look back in history. Pearls were worn by many women who made an impact in fashion. Jackie O., Audrey Hepburn, Chanel and the list goes on. Additionally, they were worn by many of high status and power, including Princes of India through all their generations, the dynasties of Egypt, the royalties of Persia, the wild chiefs of Arab tribes, the potentates of Greece, Rome and Venice, the houris of Turkey and the Queens of every European court.
Also, unlike some jewelry pearls can be worn fake and they are just as fabulous as the real ones and may even be more fabulous if they are costume. Chanel was seen wearing a long strand of costume pearls first back in 1924, this is when costume jewelry also really took off. Chanel believed costume jewelry was actually better than authentic jewels. And I would have to say I would have to agree (in most cases), its funny I find that I get more compliments on the pieces I spent $5 on than I do on the pieces I spent $100+ on. Go figure!! :)
So WHAT are you waiting for...your wardrobe is seriously missing out if pearls are not in your collection!! Real or fake they are fabulous no matter what!!
Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie Bradshaw in "Sex and the City" wearing Mikimoto pearls while lounging around the house
- Kokichi Mikimoto, the founder of Mikimoto pearls, discovered his first cultured pearl on July 11, 1893
- Kokichi founded the world's first store specializing pearl jewelry in Tokyo's Ginza district
- Kinds of Mikimoto Pearls: Akoya cultured pearl, silver lipped cultured pearl, black lipped cultured pearl, freshwater cultured pearl & semi-spherical cultured pearl, and conch pearl
- 6 Qualities of a Mikimoto Pearl you should consider before buying: lustre, nacre thickness, surface, color, shape, and size
- How a Mikimoto pearl is made: Raising oysters, inserting the nucleus, pearl cultivation, and harvesting pearls
- AAA grade is the highest quality of Mikimoto pearls
My all time favorite strand of pearls. Classic Chanel long strand of pearls!
Until next time stay styled right my fashionistas! xoxo FSR